It’s easy to throw a fall party for kids–think up some games and make sure there’s candy involved–but how do you entertain adult guests during the autumn months? Here are six suggestions that will help you host a party your friends won’t want to miss.
1. Select Good Candles – I can’t think of a better time than fall to invest in really great-smelling candles. Choose scents with hints of vanilla, spice, pumpkin or cider, and you’ll set the tone for your gathering with just the flick of a match.
2. Mind the Music – When you’re hosting a party, it’s important to think about how you want the event to feel and then select music that will play into that ambiance. Instrumental or folk music is a great complement to a fall party, and with your candles burning in the background, you’ll have people relaxed the moment they walk in the door.
3. Indulge the Appetite - Fall is a nostalgic time for most people. The change in season brings thoughts of caramel apples, spiced apple cider, pies and pumpkin desserts of all kind. Plan your menu around the season and include foods like squash, apples and pumpkin.
4. Bring on the Beverages - Put away the ice bucket and bring out the tea kettle. Warm up your gathering by offering up an assortment of seasonal teas (pumpkin spice, apple cinnamon, etc.) as well as hot fresh cider or hot chocolate. Something about enjoying a warm drink together makes a party feel extra cozy and relaxing.
5. Venture Outside - If the weather’s nice, take the opportunity to host a part of your event outside, where people can enjoy the natural sights and smells of autumn. String up some white lights or place candles in assorted lanterns and add to the beauty.
6. Sport something Seasonal - If you’re hosting a fall party, dress for the occasion in a warm knit or a pair of leather boots. If you look the part of fall, it will add to the overall theme and feel of your gathering, letting people enjoy the season and all its charms.