There are few magazines I can’t enjoy for one reason or another. Each has its niche and, even within the world of craft magazines, each serves a different type of artists. I’ve found I have a few that I consistently go back to. The reason these titles are my go-to publications is because of their ability to provide quick, useful inspiration to get me to the crafting table. I love many magazines just for the sheer pleasure of witnessing the artistic process, but this list is dedicated to the publications that move me to create — every time.
1. Somerset Studio magazine – Although I’m not a mixed media artist, the content in this publication is always of such high caliber that I can’t help but try to duplicate some of what I see. The magazine features a consistent aesthetic that inspires a confidence within the reader. The result is that every time a reader picks up the magazine, a high level of artistry is expected.
2. Cloth Paper Scissors magazine – I love this publication for its whimsy. Every issue features artwork that transports the reader to another world. Each little vignette is like a lesson is storytelling through creativity that provides a unique level of inspiration.
3. Family Fun magazine – From the first time I picked up Family Fun, I was hooked. I was initially drawn to the magazine because I was looking for fun activities to share with my young children. It didn’t take long to realize this magazine offers just as many great ideas and content for adults. The best thing about the projects in Family Fun is that they’re almost always easy and inexpensive to recreate.
4. Creating Keepsakes magazine – As a card maker and avid stamper, I like to see artists putting stamps to paper and samples of cards. While Creating Keepsakes focuses primarily on scrapbooking, I’ve always been so impressed by their approach and how many useful resources they offer. Their sketches can be adapted to cards and many other projects, and I always find myself pulling out my card making supplies after reading this one.
5. Martha Stewart Living magazine – Martha will always be my first love. Martha Stewart Living is the first magazine where I remember counting down the days until the new issue was in my hot little hands. I have the fondest memories of every project I’ve ever attempted from the pages of this beautiful publication. Even when the project looked nothing like what was on the page, I still had fun with it. Martha Stewart Living was my sole resource for crafting inspiration and instruction for years, and for that reason this magazine will always have a special place in my heart.