Since there’s no better gauge of the hottest fall trends than the season’s fashion magazine covers, we show you how to express your sense of style in seven of the most popular ways.
Spring 2014 collections are all the rage on runways during fashion week this fall, and while New York, London and Paris preview what we should be wearing months away, this season’s magazine covers are showcasing the hottest trends to incorporate into your wardrobe now.
From caps to menswear and leather to military-inspired looks, top fashion magazines provide us with a range of style suggestions. But after scouring this season’s magazine covers, we found they are rather limited in terms of the variety of trends they feature.
Still, any fashion-forward gal will find some inspiration from these seven trends flaunted on this fall’s magazine covers.
1. Mixed Layers and Textures: No style is hotter on this season’s magazine covers than pairing mixed fabrics, patterns and textures. This can be achieved through layering, such as on September’s Essence or Marie Claire, or mixing pieces, such as on September’s Nylon, or accessories, like September’s InStyle.
2. Winter White: You can rock this trend whether you adhere to the old rule about wearing white after Labor Day. The looks on magazine covers like August’s Elle Canada, September’s Wallpaper* and October’s Marie Claire Australia go for crisp white, but can easily be managed with the off-white shade.
3. Classic Patterns: Some things just don’t go out of style, and classic patterns like houndstooth are making a big comeback. It’s been featured prominently on three magazine covers this season: August’s InStyle UK, September’s Elle UK and Cosmopolitan.
4. Leopard: Take a walk on the wide side with leopard prints. Go for the usual black or brown, but make it trendy by mixing it with different prints or fabrics, like InStyle UK’s October cover, or choose an even hotter hue, such as Cosmopolitan South Africa’s August cover.
5. Peplum: This forgiving look has been with us for a little while, and it’s going to stick around. The peplum adds flair—and flare—in everything from casual looks, like what’s on Redbook’s September cover, to the more daring piece on September’s Elle UK cover.
6. Sparkle: Fall is the time to shine in preparation for those fabulous holiday parties. Elle’s August cover, Harper’s Bazaar’s September cover and Harper’s Bazaar UK’s October cover go for lots of bling, while Marie Claire’s October cover layers (another trend) a lot of sparkle on top with a little underneath.
7. Gray: Neutrals can be good basics to build a wardrobe around—you can easily accessorize with the season’s hottest colors—so consider gray the best new basic for fall. Fashion magazine’s October issue pairs the color with another new trend—mixed patterns and textures.